Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oat Bread Recipe

Rozanne's Oat Bread

Ingredients:

2/3 cup dry whole oats (or oatmeal)
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp salt

Place the above ingredients into a bowl. Add boiling water and stir. Let sit until cool.

Proof:
2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water

6 cups flour

Once the oat mixture is cool to the touch, add the proofed yeast and water. Add all to the flour in a large mixing bowl. Mix or knead until dough is no longer sticky to the touch. Let rise in a greased bowl. Shape into loaves and let rise again. Bake loaves at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes.

Here is last week's bake. I doubled the recipe.
I double this recipe and get 4 large loaves. It's almost enough bread for the week. This week's bake is pictured below in the rising stage. It's a tripled batch because I needed some rolls to go with a hearty beef stew.


This week I tripled the batch in order to have four loaves and 12 rolls.
These are rising on the back of my stove.


As soon as I get two more loaf pans, I'll be tripling it regularly and baking once a week. That'll be nice once the summer heat hits.


No comments:

Post a Comment