Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rest in Peace

Mawmaw in 2008
with an expression I must have adopted from her.
These two shared their red hair (before the gray), the name Ruth, and their favorite color green.


My grandmother was on this earth for 94 years before she passed away very gently this morning. I will miss her terribly. In the last two years I have discovered something she knew already, we are a lot alike. Or were, rather. I sincerely would rather not be blogging at the moment. I hope it doesn't show.

At any rate, the usual Wifey Wednesday post will have to wait until next week. Instead, I am posting a recipe for my mother today at her request. Isn't it odd how our thoughts always turn to food in the event of deaths and births?





Texas Lasagne

1 1/2 pounds ground beef or sausage
1 onion diced
2 cups ricotta (or cottage cheese)
2 eggs
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup of salsa
7 corn tortillas cut into 1 inch strips
4 cups shredded cheese (your choice, something lovely and melty like cheddar or a Jack cheese)

Brown the meat and saute the onion in a large skillet, drain grease, and add taco seasoning, tomatoes and salsa. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile combine the eggs and ricotta in a small bowl.

Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Layer 1/2 the meat sauce, half the tortillas, and half the ricotta cheese mix, and half the shredded cheese. Repeat. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment