Friday, July 6, 2012

7 Quick Takes




1
Image Source: http://www.mindcomet.com

If you haven't checked out Pinterest.com yet, it's worth a look. It is the new technology's version of a cork board. People pin things on their boards from around the web that catch their interest or have proved useful. It's entertaining and visually appealing, and as you may have guessed, a lot of it is pure fantasy.

For more information, this article describes Pinterest and its marketing potential pretty well.

2
An Example of Something Pinned
A friend of mine, Alice Simmons, pinned this on her Pinterest Page and I repinned it on mine. It is a recipe for homemade antiseptic ointment made of beeswax and oils. Pinterest makes posting such an item so much more streamlined than blogging or Facebook. Because only the people who have signed up to follow a particular board of mine will see the pin on their page, I did not have to share it with anyone who doesn't like this sort of thing (until now). It's also a handy place to keep something as a reference. I just repin it to my board and come back to it later. Pinning is an interesting new development out in the Internet.

Meanwhile, here's a link to the recipe page for the homemade ointment. Sorry if the ointment doesn't interest you, but Pinterest just might.

3
History in Living Color
Image Source: "Captured: America in Color"
A More Riveting Image of Rosie
If you love history or if you teach history, you simply must check out "Captured: America in Color from 1939 to 1943," an archive of rare color photographs of America in the 1940s. The collection of Library of Congress prints brings that era to life. There are links at the sight for other such historical photo collections. Go, enjoy the visual feast!

4
Pope Paul VI Institute Now Accepting Insurance!
Image Source: Pope Paul VI Institute Facebook Page

Pope Paul VI Institute, an innovative and internationally recognized center for natural fertility regulation and reproductive medicine, just announced that it now participates with several insurance plans. As both a patient of the institute and a member of one of those plans, I am delighted with this news! I won't have to self pay for my women's health any longer. I won't go into the details of my personal health issues, but suffice it say that the run of the mill OBs in the habit of prescribing The Pill for every female ailment were unable and uninterested in pursuing an accurate diagnosis. It has been worth every penny spent going to Dr. Hilgers. If you haven't heard of him yet, feel free to go investigate his practice by clicking here.

5
I Have Been Remiss!
Simon with my mother in 2010.

While posting 4th of July pictures Wednesday, I thought I'd take the opportunity of a working computer and some quiet and post a few backlogged photos as well. A few? I discovered to my embarrassment that I had a backlog of photos--from 2010! I have been remiss. So, if my children look younger lately on Facebook, it's just me, catching up.

6
Worth Rereading
I've been rereading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. This time around I'm looking to see how Austen foreshadows Lydia's relationship with Mr. Wickham. What I'm noticing is how Wickham advertises his interest in Lydia from the very start. He talks with Elizabeth but his attention is always being drawn to Lydia when she pushes the limits of politeness. The predator knows his prey and you can see how he is drawn to the weaknesses of her character. This has always escaped me until I watched the television series again on a download and saw the actor performing it. That is what sent me back to the book in the first place. It's only taken me a half dozen times through the book and twice through the television performance to catch on. I take comfort in the fact that Elizabeth was just as clueless as I've been.

7
In Other News
We have our coffee in a more timely manner.

Our coffee maker was dying a slow and clogging death. At the end, it was taking so long to brew that exactly half of the water was turning to steam and in an hour we would have a lovely half pot of espresso. Although delicious, it was probably dangerous to have the water boiling away, and it was surely dangerous to delay the clarity and sustenance that is our first cup. We are now the proud inheritors of an "extra" coffee maker my mother had in her back room. The coffee is weaker, quicker, and very much appreciated. Mornings are much smoother now. Thanks, mom.



_____________


Jennifer Fulwiler
Thanks to Jennifer Fulwiler, a fellow Texan, for hosting
7 Quick Takes Friday 

3 comments:

  1. Going to have to go back and re-read P&P myself now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever read Pride and Prejudice. I think I may see if I can get a copy and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recommend the 1995 made for BBC adaptation of it. :)

    ReplyDelete