Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wifey Wednesday: Budget

It's a short post. Today, instead of writing about my wifely duties, I was performing them. It is the end of the year and after much struggle and resistance (mine), we have our very first ever workable family budget. It's very tight and it's not pretty, but it is within our means. It took a lot of work, discussion, and cooperation, but we are ready to face the year financially.

Today, I plugged the budget into the family computer and got the kinks worked out. As it turns out I'd miscalculated our tax rate and wound up with an overage to the tune of $3,000. More belt tightening and vanity squashing had to happen than we would have ever thought possible.

I'm excited about trying to live on a budget based on what we actually have available versus living on what we think we have available. Everything is laid out in black and white. There's no more need of discussion about where the money should go; we've already decided. Everyone has been part of the process. Everyone knows where the money is coming from and where it is going to. Keeping track of the money has always been my job and it has caused me no end of stress. Now, keeping track of the money is every body's job.

It was a lot of work to get here, but I feel a sense of freedom now that I've done it. I don't have to worry about money for this upcoming year because we did all the worrying up front. The worry is over. Now, it is merely a matter of discipline and diligence. Pray for us, my friends.

Even if it is going to be tough going, with many fewer luxuries, we will achieve balance in the checkbook and black in the ledger at the end of the year. I highly recommend this whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment