Monday, May 27, 2013

Thanks, heroes...

Today is my late sister-in-law's birthday and though I am distracted with comforting my husband and my in-laws today while moving my mom into her new home, I wanted to take a moment to say thank you.

My dad's generation and his dad's were raised to be heroes. My generation, raised in the 70s and 80s, heard that heroism was too much trouble. "You don't want to be a hero!" was a great song with a horrible message. It was part of the soundtrack of our lives.

I'm glad to see that those of you who have served since The Greatest Generation know better. Americans still have a sense of duty and purpose. Most of the time, we get it right, too.

Thanks to all of you who served and died. My family has lost two men in the wars of the 20th Century and has sent many. We've been fortunate.

Though there's no real way to say thank you...thank you all. The world is a better place because of what you have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment