Saturday, August 10, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Ugh and Yay!



--1-- Ugh!



The bug that started with a barfy kid the Monday before last has been diagnosed as the flu. It looks like we're in it for the long haul, but there are days when the yucks lighten and we get some stuff done. It could always be worse.

--2-- Yay!



My nephew and his wife had their baby girl last night in the wee hours of the morning. I've seen a picture, but so far, no name has been announced. You'll have to take my word for it that she is as cute as a button. Though I'll share photos of my own kiddos, I let my family keep their kids to themselves. It's not as if they asked for a blogging auntie!

--3-- Ugh!



I've struggled to stay on the budget for several months now. My mom got sick in March, put her house up for sale, and moved out by us, changing the family financial dynamics enough that I've needed to revamp the budget. Instead of doing the work I've been mentally estimating which is the same as not using a budget, I've discovered. The program I used on my PC can't transfer to my Mac, so I've been using the excuse that I'm stuck in a back room to do family finances as a way to avoid the duty long enough to justify buying a new program and manually transferring data. What better way can you think of to spend the flu-induced downtime?

If you need help getting started budgeting, I highly recommend heading over here to check out Dave Ramsey.

--4--Yay!

Given that we are going to be out of action for at least another week, I'd say we wrapped our home school year just in time! We won't be falling behind in our studies having the flu this early in the year. How's that for a half-full kind of thought?




Takes 5, 6, and 7 are interesting articles that I came across this week. They were thought provoking enough that I may be blogging on each one in the next few weeks.

--5-- Modern Parenting My Hinder Brain Development Notre Dame Study Finds



Though I have two major disagreements with the article, I thought this was a great read and provocative enough to share.

Nitpick #1: This title should read "Modern American Parenting" as many modern Western countries do not follow the practices cited in the article. We Americans are becoming too busy, too stressed, and too distracted to pay attention to anything for very long, much less our children. As a culture we indulge, we don't discipline. Not all of us parent this way, of course, but it's far too common. This study proves that bad parenting is bad.

Nitpick #2: They are placing a bit too much emphasis on breastfeeding as a mark of good parenting. I've seen a few moms who managed to breast feed and parent badly. Since I've both bottle fed and breastfed, my kids are a mix of both, and I can say with some authority that I don't love the bottle fed any less than those I fed on homemade milk. Don't get me wrong, breastfeeding is wonderful if you can manage it, but using it as a marker of nurturing behavior is a bit of a stretch. Sometimes bottle feeding is the only option. Let's not pile on the guilt by implying it's bad parenting.

"Social practices and cultural beliefs of modern life are preventing healthy brain and emotional development in children, according to an interdisciplinary body ofresearch presented recently at a symposium at the University of Notre Dame.

'Life outcomes for American youth are worsening, especially in comparison to 50 years ago,” says Darcia Narvaez, Notre Dame professor of psychology who specializes in moral development in children and how early life experiences can influence brain development.'"
Link to article...http://news.nd.edu/news/36653-modern-parenting-may-hinder-brain-development-research-shows/

--6-- Here! Here! I Agree!



This article on that overwhelmed feeling of being a new parent pretty much sums it up. I think parenting one was hard, two was hard, three was the worst. Six is a breeze in comparison. Parenting is hard, but it just gets easier as the family gets bigger.

Or maybe I'm just lowering my standards. At any rate, here's the article link so that she can reassure you that it's okay to be maxed out by the number of children that you currently have. Even veteran moms of many remember those days...

To Moms of One or Two Children

--7-- And Just in Case You Disagree with 1 to 6, Here's a Handy Article


When in doubt, take it personally. 

Link: http://thepessimist.com/2013/08/07/how-to-be-outraged-on-the-internet/

2 comments:

  1. Definitely the story of a family affair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flu in August?! Ugh!!

    Huge Dave Ramsey fans over here...WE'RE DEBT FREE...AAARRRGGGGG!!!!!

    I agree about parenting more is easier. One, there are more hands to help and two, as my husband said one time, the more kids you have, you either learn to bend or you break. Um, I choose bend.

    ReplyDelete