Monday, January 17, 2011

Random Cooking Tips

Tip #1
On the off chance you are making muffins in the near future, here's a tip. If you don't have enough batter for a full batch, fill the remaining muffin spots halfway with water. This helps the muffins bake evenly. I'm guessing it has to do with the way heat conducts, but I'm not sure. I just know it works, especially in an oven (like mine) that has hot spots.

Tip #2
We've all been mid-way through a recipe and found that we were low on an ingredient and must make a substitution. Be sure to jot it down. If you ran low of sage and decided to go with cilantro instead it's good to record if it turned out well. That's how recipes are improved upon. Don't depend on your memory. A year from now you'll remember that you substituted something green for the sage and might pull out the parsley instead. Speaking of, I note the disastrous substitutions, too. I make a frowny face next to the note. I don't want to repeat my mistakes, after all. I make enough of those the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment